Friday 6 June 2014

Spirit - Book #3 in the Elemental Series by Brigid Kemmerer - 4 STARS!

Spirit by Brigid Kemmerer
Four Supernaturally Super Stars
Blurb - With power comes enemies. Lots of them.

Hunter Garrity just wants to be left alone. He’s learned the hard way that his unusual abilities come at a price. And he can’t seem to afford any allies.

He’s up to his neck in hostiles. His grandfather, spoiling for a fight. The Merrick brothers, who think he ratted them out. Calla, the scheming psycho who wants to use him as bait.

Then there’s Kate Sullivan, the new girl at school. She’s not hostile. She’s bold. Funny. Hot. But she’s got an agenda, too.

With supposedly secret powers rippling to the surface everywhere around him, Hunter knows something ugly is about to go down. But finding out what means he’ll have to find someone he can trust
Spirit is book # 3 in the Elemental series by Brigid Kemmerer.
Ok so I’m gonna admit it I might, perhaps be ever so slightly obsessed by this series. Why do I think this, well I have read books 1-3 including the additional 3 novellas one after the other over the last couple of day’s lol. In fact I have seen 2am three nights in a row whilst compulsively reading them.
So the good bits...
·         Hunter, poor little mixed up Hunter. I thought that Gabriel needed a hug well Hunter needs to be smothered with them.
·         Casper, that’s one amazing dog.
And the not so good bits...
·         I did not like Kate at all!!
·         There wasn’t enough Merrick Bros in this book for me.
I really enjoyed this book, I feel like this series just keeps getting better and better.
I wasn’t sure what to expect from Spirit, Hunters book. The other books hint that he could possibly double cross the Merricks and side with the guides. I am sooooo glad that although he is genuinely confused about the guides and who is evil he ends up being on the side of good and the elementals like the Merricks.
This book definitely showed the author Brigid Kemmerer’s darker side and it started to push the YA boundaries. I loved that I could so easily see this book being translated into film.
My main issue with this book was Kate; she was not the typical girl that has appeared in this series so far. Kate is much darker and easily as conflicted as Hunter is about where the line of good and evil is drawn.
I just didn’t engage with Kate, I honestly felt right up to the point that she was found dead that she was playing Hunter and could turn back to the guides at any minute.
Silver was a much more serious enemy, Brigid Kemmerer has stepped up the evil rating with a trained assassin with supernatural powers who is only 21!!!
This book was missing a serious influx of Merrick brother for me, now I know that this was Hunters story but I love the fact that this series in an ensemble and I needed more of the group dynamic.
Hunter’s granddad was seriously nasty; I was genuinely shocked when he attacked Hunter.
Poor Hunter, he is one serious mixed up kid. His messed up relationship with his parents and being brainwashed into not trusting anyone is heartbreaking in a 17yr old kid. When Gabriel says ‘Welcome to the family’ at the end I honestly choked up Hunter desperately needs that family relationship.
This book really feels like the grown up brother of this series so far, it was definitely a more mature story which is shown by the much more adult themes.
I’m really looking forward to seeing how Calla’s role is played out in the next books, she really crossed a line when she set the fires at the carnivals and killed several people.
Ok so time for a bit of a fangirl moment I love this series, I loved this book and I can’t wait to get started on the next book.

0 comments :