Saturday 31 January 2015

***Review - Summer Sky by Lisa Swallow - Blue Phoenix #3 - 4.5 Stars***

***Review***

Summer Sky by Lisa Swallow
Blue Phoenix #1
4.5 Seashells and Snogging Stars

Blurb - Sky changed her life for a man once, and she has no intention of doing it again - even if he is a six foot, tattooed rock god who makes a mean bacon sandwich.

Sky Davis is fed up of boyfriend Grant taking her for granted and when she comes home to find him wearing a girl, Sky suspects the relationship is over. She takes an unscheduled holiday and leaves the life (and guy) she hates behind.

Rock star Dylan Morgan is struggling with fame and infamy, sick of his life being controlled by other people. Dylan cuts his hair and walks away from his role as lead singer of Blue Phoenix, leaving chaos and speculation behind.

Outside the English seaside town of Broadbeach their cars and worlds collide.

Sky decides Dylan is an arrogant guy with too many tattoos, and Dylan is amused by the smart-mouthed girl with no idea who he is. Dylan and Sky soon discover they’ve travelled to Broadbeach for the same reason - to escape from reality back to a place with happy childhood memories.

Losing themselves in a world where they know nothing about each other, Sky and Dylan begin a holiday romance that soon heats up their rainy English summer.

Fantasies can’t last forever and when reality crashes the party, Sky isn’t sure she wants to be more than his ‘summer Sky'.

Returning to the real world and public scrutiny isn’t their only problem. Blue Phoenix lead guitar player, Jem Jones, has a reason for wanting Sky out of Dylan’s life, and is determined to come between them. Some things won’t stay hidden, even when they’re paid to ‘go away’.

Summer Sky is a romance where occasionally more than the bacon sizzles. This is the first in the new ‘Blue Phoenix’ series of contemporary rock star romances.


Summer sky is book #1 in the Blue Phoenix series.

This is the first book I have read by this author, but it definitely won't be the last.

I grabbed Summer Sky when it was free on Amazon and I'm so glad I did.

I really enjoyed this book it is almost a book of two halves. The first half is sweet and innocent and the style is youthful and exuberant.

Two virtual strangers connecting over childhood memories. I love the connection between Sky and Dylan they are cute yet the sexual tension is undeniable.

They manage to go from ice cream and shell hunting to passion and panty dampening kisses in the blink of an eye.

I have to say that this couple bicker like an old married couple but it felt more like they had known each other forever and knew how to push one another's buttons.

In the second half of the book everything gets a lot more grown up!!!

From the moment they leave the beach the whole tone of the book changes and a darker tension settled on the characters and their dialogue.

Dylan in the real world is broken and world weary. I went from swooning over how sexy he was to feeling maternal and wanting to give him a hug.

It actually made me really sad to see how the fame and pressure affects Dylan, his whole persona changed. 

You may disagree but I feel like Sky was a bit mean!!!! I know that Dylan is used to getting what he wants but how could she be so cold to his sad little puppy dog eyes.

This book does show how in this day and age social media is used to manipulate public perception. Dylan is an underhanded sly little monkey but I heart him too much to be too mean.

Blue Phoenix are like a walking advert for not taking drugs, I didn't feel like any of the other band members were actually real as there constantly drugged up. I kind of like the juxtaposition of the cliché bad boy, drugged up rock band and Dylan desperately trying to escape from the fame merry go round

Jem is actually a bit creepy, every time he appeared I was super uncomfortable. I'm not sure if he is just truly evil or maybe just so buried under a shed load of hate and anger. Whatever it is I'm not a fan!!!

How could the book end like that!!! Lily is obviously lying or manipulating the truth because I just don't believe it!!!

I'm going straight into Falling Sky now I’ve got to find out what happens next

Summer Sky gets 4.5 stars from me!!

1 comments :

Unknown

Thank you for your wonderful review!
I hope once you read Rising you'll change your mind about Jem :P