Saturday 31 May 2014

Devour - book #1 in the Devoured series by Shelly Crane - 4 STARS

 Devour by Shelly Crane
Four supernatural stars
 

Blurb - Clara has it all. A wrestling star boyfriend, popular friends, all the right school activities...pretty much a perfect life...up until her parents died. Now she lives with the Pastor and his family and though they take good care of her, she feels alone. Then her boyfriend, Tate, starts to show signs of trouble when a new guy, Eli, comes to town. Clara is fascinated with him but hides it until something happens. Eli confesses to her that she gives him something he's never had before...something he needs. Everything is about to change for this normal pretty popular girl in a supernatural way.
Devour is book #1 in the Devoured series by Shelly Crane, I’m a massive fan of this author and have read both her Significance and Collide series and loved them.
Well so far so good for devour I’m not fan girl obsessed yet but give me time.
The good bits....
·         Eli, I love a good anti hero and you can’t get any better than an evil being gone good!!
·         Clara in badass mode is genius she makes me think of a annoyed kitten lol
·         I love a good supernatural love story!!
The bad bits....
·         The first book is a bit too nice, now I’m sure that will change in the following books, but at the moment it’s all a bit cheerful.
Shelly Crane has a unique ability to write about supernatural characters that could easily live among us and normal humans would have no idea.
I love her books they always have an epic love story, it happens quickly but you always feel the devotion.
Now Clara & Eli I feel there connection but I liked that it is age appropriate, they feel like teenagers falling in love. The way they interact and speak is sweet and although it’s more of a slow burn than an all out passionate connection it doesn’t feel any less powerful.
I loved the idea that Eli & Clara are connected because she decided she wanted it, that is such a change normally it’s the male supernatural being who attaches themselves to the human girl.
Now Enoch I need him to get more involved in the story, vampire diaries is mentioned several times and Enoch is definitely Damon!!! He might be evil now but I’m convinced he’s a good guy it might just be buried quite deep
My only real criticism of Devour is that it feels like a bit of an intro book, and although as book #1 in a series it has to do the intros and fill in vital info, I wanted it to have a bit more action.
I love the idea that as Eli & Clara bonded it also bonded her to the other members of his family forcing them also into a protective role; I can’t wait to see how that plays out.
Mara his sister is EVIL and that’s saying something about a race of beings those devour and feed on negative feelings and fear.
I liked this book, not quite as much as the Significance series but it has potential I will definitely be reading the next book in the series.

0 comments :