Saturday 31 May 2014

Consume - Book #2 in the Devoured Series by Shelly Crane - 3 STARS

Consume by Shelly Crane

Three could have been better stars

Blurb - Eli and Clara's story continues as she tries to finish high school. Eli is as over protective as ever and Tate and his group of friends are no help. They wait for the Horde, always looking over their shoulder. But the ever annoying but strangely prophetic bird begins to become more of a chatter box and Eli learns something that could change some things. Not just for him and Clara, but Devourers everywhere.
Then an unexpectedness guest comes forcing Eli to flee with Clara, leaving her temporary family behind. She is thrown into his world of underground 'traitors' and learns much of his past. They meet many new people and creatures along the way to freedom. But when tragedy strikes the two, will Clara see the monster in Eli? Can she handle his strange world and awful past? Will one of them lose their life forever...
Consume is book #2 in the Devoured Series by Shelly Crane, it starts immediately following on from the end of Devour.
I enjoyed Devour but to be honest Consume was a bit of a letdown.
So the good bits...
·         Enoch I knew there was a good guy in there, it didn’t come out as much as it could but hey he has his own follow on book.
·         Clara & Eli arrrrr how cute.
And the not so good bits...
·         This book was missing a serious action injection!!
·         Cliché I know but this book was just too nice!
God I found this book a bit disappointing, Devour book #1 felt like it was setting up some serious action. But it never happened, the story built and built and then Eli got made human!!!! WTF
Clara & Eli they were so cute together, a bit too sickly sweet, it’s rare that I will say this but this book just didn’t have enough drama and angst in it.
Perhaps I have been comparing this series too much to the Significance and Collide series, but they are so action packed, you have to take a break to take it all in. This is why the slow paced Consume just didn’t really float my boat.
I feel like this series had so much potential but it just never happened. Eli got made into a human; I was really not expecting that!! Now if Clara had become half human half devourer that would have opened up the opportunity to fight against the Horde and at least a couple more books in this series.
What I hated was the rebels saving them, then asking Eli & Clara to join them as human like a weird hippy commune.
I’m not trying to be horrible when I say that everything came a bit too easily to Eli & Clara, now don’t get me wrong it’s not that I didn’t want them to have a happy ending, I did. But to be honest I think they should have had to work a bit harder to get it.
I liked Consume but it could have been soooo much better.

0 comments :