Friday 13 June 2014

Carter Reed by Tijan - 4.5 STARS!!!

Carter Reed by Tijan
Blurb - Emma decided to skip the gym and went home early. It was the last easy decision she made because she found her roommate being raped by the boyfriend. She had two choices. Call the cops and be killed by his family’s mafia connections or kill him first and hope to survive. There was no choice to her. She killed the bastard first and went to the one person who could protect her. Carter Reed. He’s a weapon for the rivalling mafia family, but he’s also Emma’s secret. Not only was he best friends with her brother, but she’s the reason he became that weapon in the first place.
Four and a half Mobtastic Stars
I’m a massive Tijan fan girl and I have seen this book soooo many times since it was released last year but for some reason I’ve always overlooked it. I’ve read the blurb several times and always sort of shrugged and gone I’m not sure that’s really my cup of tea.
Thank god I ignore myself sometimes because I bit the bullet, after realising that I loved everything else I’ve read by Tijan I brought this book and it was BRILLIANT!!!!
So the good bits....
·         Emma, I know that she is disliked by some readers but I liked her!!!
·         Carter, Carter, Carter he’s badass, sexy, alpha and dangerous..... Yes Please!!
·         This book has something for everyone, romance, action and mob connections what else could you want!!!
And the not so good bits...
·         This book stalled in a few places and went a bit slow.
Ok I’m gonna rant for a bit and stand up for Emma, now she is a bit whiny and she does get sexually aroused at weird times lol. But fundamentally she’s a survivor, her brother is killed in front of her and she copes, she comes home to find her room-mate being raped and she kills the guy to protect her roommate and herself. She then goes to a badass Carter Reed and asks for help, to get help she has to leave her friends to protect them and change her life completely.
Now all this happens to this poor girl and people are criticizing her for having a few meltdowns, give the girl a break. I liked her tenacity, she looks after her friends to the best of her abilities and ends up being sold out by psycho Ben and her life is put even more at risk.
Now Carter & Emma I loved their chemistry although we don’t see a lot of Carters POV, Emma is clearly smitten and has been for a very long time. Although Emma does have a tendency for getting turned on at dodgy moments, together Carter & Emma have some serious steam.
Now I will admit that the sex is a bit boring, considering the intensity Tijan is capable of writing (Mason & Sam in Fallen Crest) the sex scenes in Carter Reed sort of went wah wah waaaa they start off great but kind of died off after the foreplay.
Carter, he’s dark, dangerous but for Emma he’s a bit of a marshmallow. Even from the short amount of dialogue we get from his perspective I can tell how obsessed he is with Emma and her safety.
 I would have loved to have had some full chapters from his perspective because I don’t feel like I really got to know his character.
I liked the intrigue and suspense of the mob related parts of the story, Tijan is a genius at building the tension whilst you wait for the inevitable to happen.
This book does have a few places where the story loses momentum and gets a bit slow but I am totally prepared to overlook them because of the brilliant action scenes.
I though the shower scene when Emma is cleaning Carters wounds was beautiful. There was very little spoken dialogue yet every emotion was clearly portrayed and felt. Even if you doubted their connection before that point this scene could leave you in no doubt of the strength of their love.
I thought this book was great it’s an easy 4.5 stars for me, Carter can save me anyday!!

0 comments :